Thursday, November 11, 2010

Meet Asala!!


Well, as the name suggests, this section is for Me and Asala i.e. the beast (read my bicycle) which stands proudly in the background.

This would be the journal where I would document (or at least would try to when Sloth permits) the trips, the happenings, the misfortunes, the experiences, the misgivings... the whole lot.

It had been a long itch (close to an year) to buy a cycle. But I was not interested in buying the normal ones (read Indian). And suddenly from somewhere via the print media, I came to know about Firefox. So I went down to their site and browsed through what they had (which is not much, so to speak). But, there stood this Beauty of a Beast, all black with bold red lettering all across its frame reading "Bad Attitude". And that was it. I usually get thunderstruck like 7-8 times a day, ogling at all the beauties (read chicks) around. But this, this was a first.. Thunderstruck, by this Beauty at the very first sight.

And so it was decided. I would buy the Bad Attitude. But cash, as they say is sand; within one's fist. And therefore, I had to wait for the right time (read right amount of cash) to come along. This took a year and a workplace shift.

And so, as soon as I shifted to Bangalore, I scouted out a Firefox showroom (which happened to be the first store I saw as I got off the Bus from Kerala). Went in there, ordered a Bad Attitude and kept pestering the store handlers to arrange one as they did not have it in stock.

Finally, they got pissed off and arranged for one from one of their other stores and I met Asala. Two weeks into Bangalore and she was there in the shop, all Black, shining, reflecting the store's lights off its frame. Standing there, just for me.

Went in, picked up a helmet, bell, lights, locks... the usual paraphernalia, swiped my card, and went through the usual routine of billing and stuff.

And then she was brought down to the road.

This was the start of a new relationship.

Oh, and if you've gone through the whole scribble above, the word 'Asala' means 'soul' in qunari language.

And Here We Go!

5 comments:

  1. Cool...! I just looved the beautiful moment when you met with your "SouL"-mate...Asala..! :)

    Cheers & wish you both miles & miles of Wonder-filled expeditions.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There she is .. Fauji bhaiyon kii farmayiish par :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sree great write up, I re-lived the ride again this weekend going through your blog ! "Asala gobbling the inclines like idli's" good one.
    -Ajay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's the irony, hipsters on this side of the globe would probably drool over a "vintage" Indian style bike.

    Here's how I found this blog: I read about Critical Mass here in LA and found out it's everywhere, including Bangalore (my parents are from Karnataka). I am interested in reading more.
    Keep riding and writing.

    ReplyDelete